Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Eastern Tiger Swallowtails........


As a blogger one sees things that need to be shared. When I am out working in the garden I see lots of things that I could take photos of to share.  It always happens that the thing that is outstanding to share is at the time when a camera is not in my hands.  There were three of these butterflies at once in the coneflower patch.  I went to get the camera thinking that they would not be there when I returned.  Well as you can see two of them were still there, one had left,  and these two were not tame like the other swallowtail that hangs around all the time.  I was able to snap two shots and then they were gone.

I hate to blog false facts and sometimes I go back in an old blog and just erase a whole paragraph if I think that I was wrong, confused or even not sure of what I was talking about on that subject. The swallowtail apparently has various colorings on their wings.  The plain one that I shoot a lot of pictures of daily is a male butterfly.  These two in the above photo have that great blue coloring on them at the base of their two inside wings.  I am thinking that they are female butterflies.

 Another butterfly that I took the other day apparently was also a swallowtail but it must have been a younger one.  I read a lot of things about them and some of the writings contradict themselves.  Anyway, I am going to throw all of the butterflies in the shape of a swallowtail to be just that.  There are side markings that helps us to know the sex of them.  I also found out that the two fast growing poplar trees that sits next to the coneflowers are a favorite place for them to lay eggs. One other discovery is that sometimes the females can have a lot of brown on their inside wings.If they keep coming back maybe I can get them all identified just like a birdwatcher does.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the butterfly photos, Larry.

Valerie said...

I'm glad your camera wasn't too far away. Butterflies are always catching on film.

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...