Monday, August 11, 2014

Aronia Berry.................


The aronia berry bush starts to show fall color way before its time. They look like blueberries in shape but they have a very different taste.  The Native American Indians liked them because they were in season at a time when they could pick something sweet to eat. The actually would blend the berry with something else as the aronia has such a small amount of sugar in them. You really have to taste and chew for a long time to discover the sugar in them.  The insides of them are full of soft pulp unlike a blueberry that is juicy. The health food gurus are crazy about them for the antioxidants that fill them.

5 comments:

lark said...

Wow, I've not heard of Aronia berries before. It reminded me of Oregon grape....which I have...I wonder if the berries are similar.

Jeevan said...

I ever heard about this berry, but wish i taste it... since its less sugar, it could be best eatable for diabetics.

Cranberry Morning said...

No kidding, I've never heard of the Aronia berry before. Interesting post!

Anonymous said...

I'm not familiar with these berries either.

I love AJ's new snapshot!

Valerie said...

I hadn't heard of this berry before. They look awfully tempting.

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...