Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The Female Cardinal.............and Her Partner.


As I stated in an earlier blog I was having difficulties identifying my male and female cardinals.  It had been a long summer and the mind got melted.  Anyway, I came to my senses yesterday and realized that this is the female cardinal.  I had not seen her all fall but she did show up for pictures and just maybe if she had shown up earlier I wouldn't have such a brain disturbance. 


The wind is blowing hard during the time she was feeding.  You can see in this view her top notch blowing up in the wind.  The wind was so strong that in some pictures the back tail was being forced to the side as she was eating.


The male cardinal demonstrates how strong the wind is with it back end being blown up in the air while he looks for sunflowers. You can see he is bracing himself to counteract the force.  As of to this date, I have only one pair coming to the feeder.  In snow storms in the years past I have had up to three pair.  I am not hoping for any snowstorm. It has dropped to 14 degrees F. (-10 C) this morning getting colder while I blog.

4 comments:

Hilary said...

The male cardinal is an eye catcher for sure.. but I've always loved the look of the female of that species. Good photos, Larry.

The Furry Gnome said...

Don't those brain farts just getcha!? We don't get Cardinals at our house 'cause we don't have enough cover for them to hide in.

Anonymous said...

I love seeing the Cardinals. It is cute when the wind blows their feathers! Stay warm and safe.

Jeevan said...

Superb capture on the cardinal! Great withstanding towards the heavy wind... do cardinals come to visible only during winters?

Take care

Reflection