Thursday, November 20, 2014

Woodpecker Heaven........


Red bellied woodpeckers are wonderful to see with that cap and the stripped black and white feathers.  The head is so striking that one wants to call it a red headed bird but it is not.  We have seen a red headed woodpecker on this property but it was years ago. The title shouldn't mislead you as I don't have that many woodpeckers.  I find it great that I can see them and photograph them in action though.


I did get a few pictures of the downy with a red notch on the back of its head.  The ones without red seem to be a younger bird. I have to look closely so I can see the different black and white birds and not misidentify them.  The nuthatch is so quick to come and go to the feeder that I have to get my eyes working quickly to focus in on them.  The camera lens helps a lot as the focus lets you see clearly what is out there. I did not mention that the other day I saw a finch on my coneflower seed heads. I didn't get out there with a camera so I didn't capture any images.  The goldfinch had already started to turn brownish in color dulling down that bright yellow color.

5 comments:

George said...

You got wonderful pictures of both of these woodpeckers. Both varieties are regular visitors to our suet feeders, but we occasionally see a red-headed woodpecker as well.

Ruby said...

lovely little bird. Great picture!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy watching the goldfinches and these woodpeckers are gorgeous. What great photos.

Hilary said...

A couple of beauties for sure. I'm not sure about the red bellied woodpecker, because I've not seen one around here yet, but both the Downy and the Hairy woodpeckers that have red heads are male. The pure black and white ones are female.

Jeevan said...

Beautiful captures on the woodpeckers. In my previous house in apartment I used to see Lesser Goldenback woodpecker come perching the flame tree in front of my house.

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...