Thursday, December 4, 2014

Reflection City.........


The antique glass bowl was an inheritance from my parents.  My mom and dad were good friends of June and Galen.  Galen was actually a cousin to my dad.  They would go to Thrasher Reunions and antique shows as June was a true antique person with her house full of very old furniture.  While at an antique shows and shops probably 25 years or more ago. My mom won this as the door prize at on of the events in southeast Iowa.  Back then it seemed like a valuable thing to be given as a prize but I suppose the glass wasn't selling for much back then.  From life's experiences I do think it was a punch bowl and it probably had a glass base that went with it. Its opening at the top rim  is about 9 inches and the glass piece is a really thick one. It is a heavy bowl to carry because of its thickness of glass.

As a photo, the light really does reflect well on it and the brown wooden base turns the bowl brown in the bottom of it.  I like the star inside of a star design in the bottom of the piece. The spiral decoration on the outside is great and the rows of circles in a patterned row reminds me of another rectangle relish dish that I own.




This second photo is not in perfect focus but I thought I would share its whole design.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

It does show up the surrounding colours nicely.

A Colorful World said...

The designs in the glass are wonderful, and I love that it has a special story.

The Furry Gnome said...

Boy, that sure reminds me of a bowl we used to be served jello in at my grandparents' Christmas dinner!

Great Specimen

  The variegated red twig is doing well this  year. The rains of little amount still did revive it from its winter slumber.  The bush was pl...