Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Home Alone......a Nursery.


I had been out working in the orchard area and taking photographs.  Every once in a while a bird would fly away from above my head and I couldn't see what kind of bird that it was.  A couple of days a go I looked up and saw a precarious start of a nest. It was on a large branch but there wasn't much of any other branches to help incorporate a nest.  Yesterday I was out and about and I looked up and there she sat.  I couldn't believe she had pulled off the nest in that area but it was there.




She really is a lot larger than her nest.  I guess that is how the Eurasian ring-neck dove makes their nest. There must be eggs under her as she never left the nest while I was out there.

The tree is an older poplar type tree which looks dead to me.  It has just a few branches that put out leaves.  She did happen to pick a major branch that did have leaves around it. I was thinking that I would have to take the tree down but it did leaf out on at least a third of the tree,

I am still awestruck that her nest can sit there cantilevered out onto that small branch.  I was glad she didn't bother to leave her nest.  She is pretty well blended into the location on the tree.

5 comments:

Jeevan said...

Hope she survives along the off springs! Nice capture with the nested bird

Anonymous said...

Great photos. We watched the eaglets at Berry College on their webcam. The camera view made the nest look deceivingly small but from the ground view, you could tell it was plenty big.

claude said...

I have the same : a baby swallows in the garage, baby bluetits in a bird house, a pidgeon nest in a tree and a wren which is preparing a nest in a little bird house close to our door-window.

Valerie said...

I would have been overjoyed to see this, Larry.

Anonymous said...

To-day Hubby and I tried to see where the robin was sitting in the Pine

tree. We know she is sitting in the nest as I guess daddy bird is back and forth to that tree how far up we cannot see.

So you got a real surprise in your tree with your big bird.

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...