Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Old Things Day........


I rescued a dipper from the farm.  I had almost forgotten about graniteware dippers but most farm households had them.  Drinking water was brought to the house from the well and a dipper would be placed into the bucket for people to use to get their drink.  We had running water on the farm but it could be used for drinking water. We carried one to two buckets of water each day to the house for use.  The metal thing in the background is a part of a harness set up for horses that pull things.  One of those with rings on both ends were attached to the back of a horse.  The rings were connected to the wagon in which the horse was then required to pull.  The dipper lays out on the bench because I was using it to dip water for some plants.  I need to put it back in the shed.  The metal device is out there for decoration along with a pitchfork.  The horse device will eventually go to my brother in law when he gets his garage cleaned out for space to store it.

2 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

Nice! Graniteware wells very well at the auctions!

Anonymous said...

I remember dippers like this one.

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...