Monday, July 27, 2015

Butterfly Surprise........


I was taking our small dog down the stairs for him to go outside.  I looked over and did see this butterfly that was very dark.  Compared to the other butterflies it looked like a bird.  I went in to get the camera and returned to capture one photo. It was a hyperactive one as it flipped back and forth on the phlox as if it was its last meal. One other shot was a failure as it flitted off.  Black swallowtail butterfly is its identity.  I am thinking it is the male because of the colors of blue on its back.  I do see a yellow one flitting by and I did see a monarch out there but nothing else was landing on the phlox. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photo, Larry. I saw a yellow butterfly moving really fast yesterday. No chance of taking a photo, though. Wishing you and your wife a nice Monday.

Betsy Brock said...

He's a beauty!

Anonymous said...

Love butterflies and this is another bonus shot.

You better take your camera when you step out. At your place surprises looks like they happen for you.

Jeevan said...

Beautiful capture and unique find on butterfly!

Linda said...

How beautiful, Larry!

George said...

I'm glad you were able to get this photo -- it's a great one.

claude said...

Not easy to shot a butterfly. The other I saw a very beautiful one but impossible to shot it.

Reflection