Thursday, September 10, 2015

Ready for Harvest........




The corn plants are fading into dead stalks.  The small amount of green at the top will be gone soon as the corn stalk stops growing.

The corn is called dented when it has dried and taken on the darker color.  Dented corn can be eaten when ground into a powder but there is not more eating of the corn from the cob when it is in this stage.  When I was young my dad had my mom cook him some field corn  in its early stage of development just to see if it was good.  Actually field corn isn't good while sweet corn in bred purely to eat from the cob.  There was evidence of morning glories blooming all along the field of corn.  It was hot afternoon and they were all shriveled by the time I was there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many folks around here decorate with the dried corn stalks for the Autumn season, along with colorful pots of mum and maybe a scarecrow.

Jeevan said...

Excellent shots and the corn is shimming to eat away!

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...