Saturday, June 18, 2016

Moss Rose......Rose Moss.


I do not know the origin of this plant but it is a confusing combination of things.  The flowers themselves seem to be perfectly formed ones that can remind me of a cactus bloom or a rose itself.


The foliage is unique that does remind me of a sedum plant.  The macro on my camera can capture the perfect bloom of this plant.  One day is the length of the bloom and another batch will bloom. I borrowed a piece off the internet that shares the different names of the plant. It also grows in Aisia.

Portulaca grandiflora, (Urdu: گل دوپہری‎) is a flowering plant in the family Portulacaceae, native to Argentina, southern Brazil, and Uruguay and often cultivated in gardens.[2][3] It has many common names, including rose moss,[4] eleven o'clock,[5] Mexican rose,[5] moss rose,[5] sun rose,[6] rock rose,[6] and moss-rose purslane.[citation needed]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plant names can be confusing, can't they. I sure love this plant. A blog friend in FL has large pots of this around her yard.

Valerie said...

I have no idea of it's name but it sure is lovely.

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...