Monday, September 18, 2017

Dipping Down....Mammoth.


As a kid, I was encouraged to grow sunflowers.  I really don't know why but maybe they thought it was good for me to learn how to plant and care for things. I already help planting the vegetable garden at a young age. The seed available back then was only the very tall plants with large flowers, over 12 inches wide. Today you have to really read the label as they now have decorative sunflowers in smaller forms.  I know the shorter form of sunflower is grown for the sake of bird seed and maybe even human consumption. I have seen the decorative one for sale in gallon pots for replanting.  This particular sunflower was the one that was on the ground after a storm. I have it supported with twine and a steel post.  Even with the post, it really is leaning low, as the seeds develop and put more weight on the flower head. I do grow them for reuse as bird seed. I do have to admit I also grow them for the fun of seeing them grow and bloom. This is the very first year where I was able to water them regularly which gave me large plants.


2 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is a huge one! I actually think they have a beauty to them at the end of their lives.

Karen said...

It's good that you had that training when you were young. I had some pretty flowers in GA when we had a house and yard. Blessed to have gardens and parks near me now that I am in an upstairs apartment.

Reflection