Thursday, October 5, 2017

Sea Gulls In Iowa....


Lake Saylorville use to have a lot of sea gulls but in the most part there are very few all summer. When the dam was first built 40 some years ago we had sea gulls come in and stay.  One could see a gull hovering over shopping mall dumpsters and that was so unusual for Iowa. But now when the fall migration of birds pick up, there are a lot of gulls. My camera is a great point and shoot but it can't take things from a mile away.  Regardless, when I view my shot of the lone sailboat, enlarged it  a large percentage, I discovered all the gulls hanging around on that end of the lake.

Because of the lake, we do now have gulls that are hanging out at our landfills. They live there all summer as the site is a great source of food. The one landfill that is next to the Des Moines river has hundreds of them living in flat open areas on top of the landfill. I have archive photos of them looking like they were sitting along a beach but in reality a garbage dump.


We were at the lake shore trying to capture these pelicans yesterday afternoon.  I had seen them along the shore north of the bridge earlier in the day.  When we returned, they were flying around over the lake. The birds  then landed north of us around the bend, out of sight.

1 comment:

Jeevan said...

I see fair amount of sea gulls as white dots there and you got a wonderful view along the lone boat. We can’t expect more from a point and shoot and I loved the pelicans flight

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...