Thursday, November 16, 2017

Flashy Glass......



Old stuff, that apparently I moved so I would have something to photograph. The glass flue on the left is leftover from a discarded candle stand.  It won't fit the old glass lantern at right because the lamp is so old that it requires a different smaller sized flue. Old bottles can be placed in the trash without any lost to this civilization;s history but one always needs to have an old one hundred year old egg crate with lid to use to put our eggs into from the chickens we don't own.


I snapped this shot to share a story about a stick.  It has been quite a few years ago when this young girl gave me the multicolored, painted branch.  It looked like it had a head on it so she painted a beak and gave it some eyes.  She was a sweet girl that lived up the street and she had decided to give out gifts for Christmas to the special people in her life. That stick could have just as well been from an Egyptian tomb, with the quality of its creation and the symbolism that she saw in the stick.  Sometimes kids do things for their teachers that make them feel special.  She really admired her work of art and I still do today. The little girl was from a broken marriage, living with her dad, and they moved away after a couple of years in our school district. I will keep the stick around to remind me of why people create.

I talked about dividing and overgrown sansivera plant for years. When I finally did so earlier this summer, I put three of them in my antique flower pots. It is like an artistic statement to put the pots in a row and the plants makes it a family. They will be placed into a window soon. The junk on the table behind them are compliments of me. I need to put some more things away and clear that art stand.



We did have frost on the pumpkins last night. Everything was coated with frost and it all did shine in the sunshine this morning. Our pumpkins don't seem to be far enough away from the house to actually freeze. I did notice this morning that my invading vines in the back are being effected by the freezing weather.



My featured sunrise today is actually the reflection of the sky on the front of the house.  The sun comes up behind that end of the house.  The sky opposite the sunrise was showing colors of pink and lavender this morning but I couldn't get a shot. There were more houses in the shot that actual sky as we live down the hill half way.




It is a hodgepodge day for my posting today.  I am showing the clump birch across the street. The house is for sale as the young couple with one small child moved away all in one weekend.  He was the one that took the child to daycare in the morning. They had two beautiful retrievers the same color of Barney but the hair was longer. I never met them and they flew three flags on their front porch telling me they were patriotic and fans of Iowa State University.

The tree would be a bonus for me for this property but the front yard is all very difficult to mow. It was created with a sharp incline from the house to the street with very little walking area across the front of the house. When he would mow it he had to push the mower up and  back it down to get it accomplished. The backyard is a sharp incline down, steep drop from front yard to back into a valley. They did a creative job to get the house into that row across the street. It looks good but is a very impractical lot. I like having the birch to watch as we can see it go through the seasons just like the one at our old house. I do see parts of bark that have blown into our yard from time to time.

I noticed that I have a dog's tail in my shot.  I didn't see that until I got down to the bottom of the photo. I get some interesting photos with a dog attached to me while snapping shots.

It is a spontaneous kind of day today.  I have chores, projects and maybe some shopping in my future.  Thanks for stopping by today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is cute that Barney's tail is in the shot. Two of our neighbors do not leash their dogs to walk them. Theo would run and pretend he did not know us if we tried to take him off leash. lol
I enjoyed your post. Those pots of plants turned out very nice.
I pray you will get nice new neighbors. Our current lot is very steep, but thankfully there is not grass to mow. The back is all wooded and the front is full of perennials/shrubs.
We are to be warm, in the 70's until Sun. when the high will be 50.

Karen said...

I enjoyed the stories behind the photos. I especially like the blue glass in your collection. Enjoy your weekend!

Small Kucing said...

I recognised that glass flue. Have or maybe still in the house somewhere. But mine is not for candle it was for kerosene lamp. Our house used to have frequent power cuts. Mom would light the lamp at night. Now cant find the wicks anymore

Jeevan said...

Interesting things and stories to share… liked how the little girl worked on the stick and for you to secure it. Beautiful window reflection

Reflection