Thursday, July 7, 2022

Seeing Gold.....finches.


 I bought an expensive large seed sock to bring in the finches.  My wife had seen one a month ago and I hung the sock.  Now that the sock is almost emptied, down to the last seed, a goldfinch pair showed up to collect seed.  I am thinking they are feeding young hatched ones. I waited a month to see our state bird feeding.  I do have another smaller sock that I will put out in the transitioning time of the old one being emptied.



The female has a lot of brown on it.  It is on the top of the bird which helps to cause her to blend in with the nest that she is sitting on.  They jet out of there so quickly that all one sees is a gold blur. The two of them took turns to land, pick seed and vacate immediately, and fed for a couple of hours. 

1 comment:

claude said...

This bird has the same colors as the "European Oriole", which in fact comes from North Africa from May to the end of summer for the beautiful period and which has a very exotic song. This bird is big as a robin
.

Sedum.....

 The sedum opens all the little flowers to create globes of color. The foliage is healthy this year and has a great contrasting green color ...