Monday, March 16, 2009

Ditch lilies....

I have always liked this photo. It is a few years old and the digital camera really picked up neat but not so natural colors. When I was working in my back yard, I thought I wanted something that would be a good ground cover and fill in an area around my fish pond. I also like things that are free. Della's home farm has these lilies but I knew that just outside of town, where a farm place use to be, that the ditch was filled with these. They are very colorful and do spread quickly. I see these for sale in garden flyers, but they don't call them ditch lilies. I can imagine you can go anywhere in Iowa and find these growing wild where an actual farm still exists, or in ditches where all of the farmstead has been torn down and is plowed over, growing corn. I have moved some of mine into a problem area that is low light and dry and they are doing well. I also planted some under an apple tree and it is going to be great in a couple of years.

1 comment:

Erin said...

YAY! Those are what I thought our weird daylilies in the back were. I haven't found anything else that looked like them...

On The Roof......

  The best place to park your helicopter really isn't on the roof but it works at the hospital.  They do have a ground area to land if i...