Saturday, August 8, 2009

Bird Hospital.....

This is my blurry picture of my rehab birds. I have many birds that were given to me by students when I was teaching in the public schools. It was like a bird rescue so to speak. I kept most of them in my classroom until I retired. As birds are like chickens, the Finches have a pecking order. In this cage that is shown are actually three birds. I have a male Zebra Finch that others think that he shouldn't have feathers around his neck area. I had to remove him to keep him alive and put him in this hospital so to speak. These two birds in the picture are best friends as they can't seem to grow tail feathers. I removed the female finch, one on the right, years ago to keep her alive as she also can't fly very well. She spends most of her time at the bottom of the cage on a low roost I put in just for her. The one on the left is a Society Finch which has a really neat song and she just likes to keep the female Finch company. So at night, or in the day, for naps they sit beside each other to rest.
It really is my hospital wing for birds as the two cages of Cockatiels are all doing fine and the one cage of Parakeets are happy and the rest of the Finches in one other cage are all healthy. Five cages if you were trying to count. I am going to give the three healthy Finches to a friend some of these days so there will be less beaks to feed.

4 comments:

claude said...

They are too cute !
Very well you bird hospital !

Anonymous said...

We used to have Zebra finches. Sylvester and Rocky were males and we got them females and the females were soon pecked hard so we had to separate them and then the males started pecking each other. Finally we had to separate them. They all got old and died except Sylvester. He was around a long time and then he passed on. I was surprised to see your post today because it brought back a lot of memories.

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

how kind of you to be hosting the low man on the totem poll.. bird wise. When I was a teenager there was a chicken at the farm I kept my horse at, and I "took her under muy wing" as the chickens on the farm picked on her, she became such a sweet chicken!

The Retired One said...

What a cute picture of those little birds!

Life Flight....

   Everyday and night the Life Flight helicopter is in action.  One time when I was out in the parking lot headed to my car I was able to se...