Friday, September 4, 2009

Churches and cemetery......



My son and his wife bought a cape cod house in the town of Lamoine, near Bar Harbor. When given directions to get to his home it took us a couple of tries to achieve the destination. The roads meander and turn back and forth many times. Along the way are a small school house structure and two different churches and at the end of the road, if you go too far, is the ocean. We had a good time being lost a lot but it was par for the course. Our poor son is standing in the yard, frantically waving, as we drive on by. Poor kid!
I loved the old cemeteries next to the churches and we just didn't get the car stopped to take any photos of it. I was glad I could lean out the window to get the churches. There are churches and cemeteries all over the Mount Dessert Island. Here in Iowa an old cemetery would maybe date back to 1860. Our home cemetery where my parents are buried has civil war soldiers buried there and the town is 140 years old. These Maine cemeteries go back a lot more years than that. The visual of those white stones standing in rows would have been, could have been, should have been a great shot. I did Photoshop a cropped part of the one picture at the top to give you a close up of the side cemetery that came with the church photo. It blurs out when you enlarge it from a small space.

5 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

I like to wander around in old cemeteries too..next time you go to Maine you will have to stay longer:)

claude said...

I like very much these both churches but no really any cemetery. I visited the Omaha beach cemetery in Normandy. Too sad.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Nice old church and cemetery. The head stones look clean.

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

two things I like to shoot..old churches and olkd cemetary's! You were right about my Hot Air Balloon shot, I added it when I had some extra time!

The Retired One said...

I liked the way the tree casts shadows on the church. And I really like cemetery pictures. Morbid, but I like them.

Reflection