Monday, September 14, 2009

Maine coast......

Gray day on the coast but this was the first place where we could actually stand along the shore and see those waves coming in, ground level.
Otter cliff on Acadia National Park. My son wanted me to see this area specifically. He has a degree with geology understanding, and he pointed out that you can see the most distinct evidence of volcanic action on this cliff area. I did say geographic as his degree which comprises many studies including computer skills to do analysis of land forms. It is a newer major that is a BA in Geography. His interning at this park got him hooked on the area, plus a girlfriend now wife who is a third generation Mainer....

6 comments:

Sunny said...

You can almost hear the waves crashing on the rocks. Did you go to Thunder Hole?
I alway enjoy your photos.
Sunny :)

L. D. said...

No, our son steered us away from the area. That is where the seven year old girl died from being sucked out by a large wave. In fact many people were drawn into the water there about four days before we arrived. He said go next year.

Alan Burnett said...

Yes, you can taste the salt in the air. Very atmospheric photos. I feel as though I know this area quite well now.

Gigi Ann said...

What lovely photos of the ocean and the cliffs. I enjoy looking at photos of places I will never get to visit. How great that you had a son and daughter-in-law to be your tour guide, when you visited. Isn't it always fun to visit with family and sightsee with them?

Far Side of Fifty said...

Beautiful Photos Larry, I have never been to Maine. The furthest east I have been is Indiana. The cliffs look awesome..but a bit scary:)

The Retired One said...

Awesome! It is definitely on my bucket list to visit that area. The ocean is mesmerizing.

The Capitol.....

 A shot through a large window creates an unusual yet usual effect. The Iowa State Capital has new gold leaf on its dome.