Saturday, October 10, 2009

Afternoon Sunlight......backlighting.......

I made this trellis from recycled wood that was thrown away in the school dumpster. It is actually oak wood, and it had been trim board in a wrestling room that was being converted into three classrooms. One would never use such a hardwood for a trellis but it was better that I use the wood than have it sitting in the bottom of a landfill. Because of the type of wood, I had to pre-drill holes that would make it possible to put it together with nails. The vine is a wild one that grows up every year. I think it is a hops vine as it eventually puts out seed pods.

7 comments:

claude said...

We have trellis too for our both blue clematis. I am ashamed because they are in plastic.

Anonymous said...

L.D.
You did a wonderful job putting it together-looks beautiful with the sun shining through.
Such a good use for something that was going to waste.
vickie

Sunny said...

I love a wooden trellis, and good for you to salvage the wood. Nice job. It looks almost like a potato vine but what do I know...I am a killer of plants! (Not on purpose).
Sunny :)

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Great job! Oak wood is hard, and it should last you a long time. Love the backlighting. Great way to recycle.

FlowerLady

Gigi Ann said...

What a great idea for thrown out piece of wood. And it turned out lookin' good.

It must be a man thing to check out what is thrown away in the dumpsters. My husband does the same thing. He reused a lot of wood in the old house we just remodeled.

The Retired One said...

You are so creative and clever!
I loved the backlighting of the vine on it too.

OiseauBird said...

Very nice ! I like this simple wood. Goog job

Great Specimen

  The variegated red twig is doing well this  year. The rains of little amount still did revive it from its winter slumber.  The bush was pl...