Sunday, October 11, 2009

Old Church.......

An old church posting on Sunday is a good thing. This is a private residence but it is quite an architectural beauty. It sits on Mr. Dessert Island, Acadia National Park area, in Maine. We visited a shore line area and got lost, so we were able to go by this building twice. The last time, I rolled down my window and snapped a few pictures.
I like the tower cap as it reminds me of the Russian onion domes. Now I would be willing to think that it is a school instead of a church, but I think it is too fancy for a school. I don't think they would build a little room below the bell unless it was a church. One has to be curious if they cut larger openings to put in the palladian windows, or they took out stained glass windows and replaced them with these. Only a local older resident could probably give us an answer.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a neat thing to see.
Do you know how old it is Larry?

Sunny said...

This is a truly handsome building with beautiful lines. I agree it could have been a church or a school. A good research project!
I have fond memories of a Mt.Desert Island vacation, when my son was little, which also included a day trip to Swan Island, just off the coast.
Sunny :)

Anonymous said...

L.D.
Old buildings are so neat to look at and wonder about their past. In Kentucky there is a house shapped like a Goose -it used to be a gas station I believe.
Good picture
vickie

L. D. said...

Yes, as a part of the wedding there was to take a lobster boat out to a restaurant on one of the islands. But it was raining so badly and blowing winds so we will have to do that next year.

Les Barr said...

Yes, I must agree with Sunny (one of my Followers) that it does look like it was a church at one time. However, if it was why was it abandoned? It would be a nice thing to find out why it is what it is today. Some History about it somewhere?

Les

OiseauBird said...

Fancy and handsome building

The Retired One said...

A very cool building! great find for a wonderful photo!

Reflection