Sunday, October 25, 2009

Maize......

Indian Corn




I purchased this last year to plant this year and it just didn't happen. I was watching Victory Garden this afternoon and a man was cooking with this, young corn and not harden yet, or dried out. He was making succotash with the corn, pumpkin, beans, and a whole lot of vegetables that I can't remember. I dug out my corn to show you. It was hard to photograph as the corn reflects back at you in the light.






My dad, Jesse T. Burgus, was such a patient man. We were poor farmers and he planted corn with a four row corn planter mounted to his International Harvester tractor. His crazy kid would come along while he was loading the seed boxes with corn, and he would let me put shelled Indian corn in with the good seed. In the fall I would watch my dad bring in the loads of corn, which was on the cob, it wasn't shelled back then. I would just sort out the multi-colored corn as dad emptied the corn into the hopper of the elevator. It was like Christmas pulling those different multi-colored ears of corn.
That is why I bought the corn to plant, I wanted to grow it just for the fun of it Nest spring I will put it on my list to do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such pretty colors. I've not seen any fresh Indian Corn up in my neck of the woods. Does it taste the same as regular corn? I'd love to try it. I'll bet the dark red one is really healthy, as they say anything with red color contains Rosveritol (Sp?) a super antioxidant.

Anonymous said...

Nothing says fall like your picture of Indian corn. It's been awhile since I grew it- It would be nice to grow again -like you just for the fun of it.
vickie

Valerie said...

I've never seen multi-coloured corn before, only the ordinary yellow. Thanks for showing the pictures.

Sunny said...

Your pictures are a-maize-ing! Sorry I couldn't resist.
There is a lot of Indian corn in this area used for decoration.
Thank you for sharing your memories.
Sunny :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

My husband grew a whole patch of it one year..we sold it at craft fairs in the fall. We pulled the husks up and wired three cobs together and added a bow..instant $4 We liked growing it to see the different colors too! I enjoyed your recollection too:)

Great Specimen

  The variegated red twig is doing well this  year. The rains of little amount still did revive it from its winter slumber.  The bush was pl...