Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Mexican Fritillary ........


I thought this was the comma butterfly that I was shooting pictures of Monday morning, but it is not. With a Google inages search I found so many pages of examples. This is a Fritillary but they do come in different shades. One was called high brown Fritillary.  Mine is so bright because the sun is shining through it's wings. Below is the comma butterfly that I just got a quick shot of but the one above is not even the same shape.

 As with the swallowtail the other day, this guy was so hungry that he just never bothered to move. I even had my straw hat on ready to go mow and that did not scare him.


I thought I was so smart snapping away today thinking I had this fellow in my lens but no not even close.  I will just have to keep an eye out for it. I won't leave the house without my Nikkon in my pocket.

3 comments:

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

I won't be out the photographing, but I got myself, at 50% off, 2 coneflowers, a butterfly bush and a hydrangea...and butterflies were all over the ones at the nursery...great advertisement!

Valerie said...

Pic 1. I like the matching pair, butterfly and flower.
Pic 2 reminds me of a rusty wall decoration I once had on the outside of the house ... a beautiful model of a butterfly until the rain got to it.

Far Side of Fifty said...

That first photo is just stunning..you were lucky to get some great shots!! :)

Reflection