Monday, May 9, 2011

Wood stove........


Another old timer thing sitting around at the Woodward Depot. One of the things I remember about the little windows is that they used sheets of mica in the  door. You can't see through mica but it did let you see the glow of the fire through it.  As the wood would burn the ashes would fall down into the bottom of it. They had to be removed from the back door on the base.  I remember to that trophy like ornament that sat on the top of them. It made it look fancy.

We had a wood burner in the basement of our old house to burn wood for heat. I do remember that my Uncle Marvin who lived nearby did have a wood stove like this. He heated the entire house with one of these and there were vent's in the upstairs floors to allow the heat to travel up into the attic bedrooms.

4 comments:

Gigi Ann said...

The wood stove brings back memories.
We lived on a farm for 40 years until we retired 13 years ago, and moved to Iowa. Anyway, we heated that big old farmhouse with a wood burner in the basement. It was put in after the kids and I were stranded on the farm for a week with no electric. It was a bad snow storm that week that broke down a lot of power lines. Moving on with the story, we put the wood stove in so we would have heat if the electric went off again during a bad snow storm. It never happened again, back where we moved from.

However, a few years ago we were without electric when we had that bad ice storm that broke down the power lines. I moved to the camper in the back yard, it is heated with gas. At least I could keep warm those few days.

Thanks for your visits to my blogs, always appreciated.

Valerie said...

I hear wood burners are popular in the States. I always imagine wood to give out more heat than coal, but I could be wrong.

Maryhocam said...

Woodburners called sobas are the main form of heating in many Turkish homes. They are disassembled in the warmer weather and put away until winter. Nice photo.

Alan Burnett said...

Gorgeous thing - a work of metallic art.

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...