Thursday, January 26, 2012

Oh horse feathers!!!!!


It is an old saying in our neck of the woods.  Actually these are feathers from my cockatiels.  I have five of these birds altogether and only two of them are females. The female birds have the patterned design as you can see in the group.  That is the easy way to know what you have with your birds.  I have an original pair of cockatiels in one cage and three of their offspring are in the other.  

I have a collection of feathers from them including my finch and parakeet feathers.  I don't know what I will do with them but for now they sit in an antique green jar as my holding station for them.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did not realize you had 5 cockatiels! The feathers are very pretty.

L. D. said...

Yes my one pair actually had two offspring and then before I could get the nest taken off the cage they had another three. I gave away two of the offspring in return for the gift of the original female that was given to me.
I have two male finches and one parakeet also that were rescued birds from owners. I want to buy a friend to the parakeet as they really love company.

Anonymous said...

How very interesting. I've never been around birds. I do have a blog friend here in GA that I will share your link with. She loves her birds, too and I think you two would enjoy one another's blogs.

Hilary said...

Wow.. that's a lot of birds. I love that you keep their feathers. I always pick up stray feathers that I find on my walks... unless there's too many and then I just select one. I keep them in various places including a feather keeper that one of my blog people made and sent to me. Frank keeps the tiny downy feathers that he finds in the lining of his hats. Yes, we're a couple of birdbrains. ;)

jennyfreckles said...

Aren't they beautiful. Your collection in the jar must make a lovely point of interest.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Feathers and hair are quite an art form popular before 1900:)

Tall and Short....

 At four in the morning and one is walking the empty hallways, one never knows what the camera might shoot.