Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Rained and Kept Inside......


Sooner or later I needed to start picking up books and reading them. I should have had the closed computer in the background showing all the things that could distract me.  My wife and I bought the book about Monuments Men as we really liked the movie.  It is based on the protection of artwork being done while the War was going on in Europe. Also the recovery of art work and restoration of great buildings. It is coincidental  that I am sipping coffee from a mug with an impressionist's painting on it.

Politics, evil history, and the goals of one man to steal and own all of the great art in Europe is the major theme of the book. Taking people from their homes, killing them and then taking all of their art reveals a pretty demented man.   The movie is such a watered down version of the whole story.  Matt Damon played the part of a man who really accomplished a lot in Pairs finding and saving art.  He is romanticized a lot because of who he is as an actor but he really did portray the real guy very well. The movie tended to leave out his couple of years of work with the French and other governments after France was liberated from the dictator. He pops into the story in the movie as if he had just arrived to meet up with a woman to find stolen art from a temporary art museum.  The rescuing of the famous works from storage in copper and salt mines is an amazing story.

7 comments:

Jeevan said...

Sounds like an interesting story and want me to watch or read the subject! The image was mood capturing.

claude said...

I heard about the book and movie but I did not read nor the book neither watche the movie but I loke very much

THIS MOVIE byt John Frankenheimer and Arthur Penn with Burt Lancaster.

Patsy said...

I will have to check this book out. Always like reading about World War 11.

Anonymous said...

I have a drawer full of books that I need to read. It seems that something else always takes priority. That cup of coffee and a good book is a great way to spend a rainy afternoon.

Betsy Brock said...

Sounds like an intriguing movie...and book! Enjoy! Too hot to be outside anyway!

Alan Burnett said...

I don't think I have come across that book (nor the movie) and it is definitely one to look out for. The only time I ever seem to find to read is either in bed or in the bath!

Valerie said...

I have read about the subject but I'm not sure if it was this particular book.

Reflection