Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Moulting...........


This is a first time that I have ever seen a sight like this in real life.  I have seen shots of cardinals that were moulting on facebook and thought it looked like a freak show. I am fighting low battery problems so the photos are a bit poor quality.  I had to share them anyway.

I looked it up on the net and most cardinals do not do this.  It just happens.  I don't know if it is a nutrition change, climate change, the reason is unknown.  My reaction at first is to think that it is sick but I was assured on the web site that it is healthy and will be ok.

I noticed with my cockatiels this year that my male yellow one dropped all of his tail feathers.  I have never seen that before and I was concerned that he was sick.  In reality the guy grew back new tail feathers in less than three days.  I can't believe that it can grow out that quickly.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a drastic difference in these photos and the gorgeous Cardinal featured on your sidebar. Good to know he is healthy. I have seen a few that look like this over the years. That is something about your cockatiel growing tail feathers in 3 days. We rec'd heavy wind and a lot of rain about suppertime last night...no damage though. I do hope you and your wife are much better today.

Linda said...

It doesn't look sick to me but its plumage is definitely not at its top. I love your photos, Larry, thank you so much for sharing. On my blog post today (Tuesday) I am sharing more about myself and I hope you enjoy the post.

Thank you so much. :)

Jeevan said...

Interesting to note such differences... just like kids grew new tooth after the first fall of teeth!

The Furry Gnome said...

Never seen anything like it.

Maria said...

I would have felt worried like you too... it's quite hard to believe that this is still healthy and natural for the bird.

Reflection