Saturday, September 19, 2015

A Lucky Find and a Lucky Shot......


                                                    Eastern Comma Butterfly

I had to wait for a time to get this shot.  All of a sudden the butterfly decided to crawl away from a rotting pear on the ground and warm itself on a leaf. I like seeing the white line around the edge of the parts of the insect.  I have found that it is an Eastern Comma butterfly.  It looks differently than the Question Mark butterfly that I found earlier.  I guess they are from the same family but they do look differently.


A fly and a closed wing butterfly sit on the pear sucking the sugar from the pear.  It would flip its wings open and shut while eating but I could never catch it open.








While crawling out into the sun it gave me a great moody shot.

5 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

Very pretty!

If you Google 'butterfly identification iowa' you will find some very easy sites and get your answer in no time. You can search by color, which I find is the fastest.

The Furry Gnome said...

Great picture! Clear and crisp!

Valerie said...

Brilliant and interesting shot.

Jeevan said...

Excellent capture and I find the white edges of the butterfly interesting!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous pictures.

Big and Small...

 The miniature daffodils are so petite compared to the normal sized daffodil. I don't think I have ever brought the small ones inside be...